Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Mystery

I woke up this morning and thought,"Great, the fire must have went out in our stove." It was COLD in the house. I get up and go into the living area and what do I see? The front door was wide open! What!!!!! Cold air was blowing in from the north right into our house. No wonder it was cold!

Now I had a few questions, did someone come into the house? Nope. Since our house has an open floor plan, I could see instantly that no one else was in the house. So I knew I was safe.

 HAD someone been in the house? No, nothing was missing. Although, I wished someone would have taken all of the clutter away. lol.

My next question was, "Did the cat get out?"  With the cat having feline leukemia, it can't get around other cats just in case they could be sick. But, on the second look around, I saw the cat sleeping on a pile of coveralls on the chair. I went and petted him. Yep, he was a little damp from being outside, but with it being rainy, he probably didn't want to stay outside for long. That question was solved.

Next question, "Did anything come INSIDE?"  Yesterday morning when Hubby went to work, there was a strong smell of skunk.  Oh please, PLEASE don't let there be a skunk in the house! I do believe I would just burn it down and start fresh. lol. I would NEVER get that smell out of a house. So very slowly I checked under things and in hiding spots for anything black and white. It didn't help that the cat thought I was playing and would hide and jump out at me. Did I mention that my cat is black and white. Uh ya, fun..... No skunks were found. Although, I did have a few heart attacks.

Finally I was wondering how the door was opened.  Then I remembered that in the middle of the night, Skeeter  had to go outside to do her business. I also remember being REALLY sleepy. So maybe, just maybe, I didn't shut the door tight. And, with the wind that we have been having, It just opened the door all the way. Problem solved.

 Everything turned out okay. No robbers, no lost cat, no skunks. I can handle the cold for a little time. At least until the stove heated everything back up. It could have been a lot worse. I did learn my lesson and will now check to see if I closed the door all the way whenever  I get up in the middle of the night.  But, you have to admit, it could have been a really good Halloween story about ghosts opening the door in the middle of the night. bwahahahaha! It's also a good thing that we didn't have a dog outside at the time. Could you imagine getting woke up by a big, slobbery tongue in the face? LOL! Oh well........

 So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, door checker.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh MAN!! Could imagine the story we could have had if there WERE a skunk in the house?!
Hehe.

small farm girl said...

Carolyn Renee, I don't even want to think about it. hehehehe

Candy C. said...

Glad everything was okay! I'll bet you check and double check the door for awhile! LOL!!

Tonia said...

Having had Skunks Under the house in the house would be unbearable!! I bet that was a chilly awakening!lol