Monday, October 1, 2012

Great Weekend!!!

This weekend was great! We had our(for lack of a better name) Prepper Party! We had a great amount of people showed up. We had good food to eat and great conversation. You can't understand how great it is to talk to people who think on the same line that you do when it comes to being prepared.  Now, I want to let you know this was not an "end of the world" event. This was a "be prepared for anything" type of party.  We talked about all kinds of things that could happen.  It was very enlightening. Things that you never thought about was brought up by the person next to you. It was an all around great night. In fact, we are hoping to have another get-together in the spring. Maybe with even more people and more organization. hehehe

The week before we had the party, we were given some bean plants by Hubby's parents. They planted too many so they were just pulling up the plants, beans and all, and giving them away. We ended up with the back of Hubby's truck heaping full of green bean plants.  After we picked the beans off of the plants we had 3 bushels of green beans. I actually ran out of jars! I now know what I need to get me for Christmas. (Did I just say the C word. Auuugh!) Before I ended up running out of jars, I had 72 quarts of beans. I ended up giving over a bushel of them away. I think I'll be fine with that. LOL!

I am glad to see October finally here but, it is the busiest month for us. It seems like every weekend we have something to do or someplace to go. This coming weekend we are going to the Kentucky Wool Festival. YEA!!!! I love this festival! This is where I learned how to spin wool. Thank you Sara!  Great place to be! I'll try to take some pictures but, I'm having issues with not being able to put pictures on here. I don't know. I'll figure something out. lol

So how is your October turning our so far?

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, one busy farmer.

10 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

OH I love to spin wool!!!
I'm glad you have a great "Prepper party!"
That is an awesome amount of bean! They are my favorite veggie canned!
Seeing how Oct just started today and it's Monday I guess its OK. I hope it keeps going well too. Things on the farm are almost done for the winter to come, so that is good too!

sista said...

Would like to know how you pulled the party together and if it was just people you knew or strangers too. Ideas would make it easier for others to do the same thing. Since I don't live anywhere near Kentucky.

Carolyn said...

I'm glad the P.P. went well! I just wish I lived closer so WE could have come :)

Oh, and I'd love to learn how to spin...it seems very calming.

Candy C. said...

October really does seem to be a busy, busy time. What a deal getting the beans! :)

V.L. Locey said...

How neat, a prepper party! October sure is a busy month.

Desert Rat said...

Prepper or Rural Living Party is a great idea. My wife and I have been toying with doing the same thing. Thanks for the motivation!!

~mel said...

I love that idea ~ because it sure doesn't hurt to be prepared :) ... whenever someone sees my freezer and pantry they always say, "I know where I'm going if the day comes."

Tonia said...

Did you save the plants??? They make great hay for rabbits!!

Sheepmom said...

Your Prepper Party sounds like a great idea, but I would have a hard time getting prepped for that many guests! Man, that's a lot of beans! Did you do them all plain or did you do any dilled beans? Those are awesome with garlic cloves canned in there too. Ditto hot pepper pickles (uses all kinds of garden veggies in the mix) and don't forget pickle-y corn relish. Yum!

small farm girl said...

I might to a post on how to set up your own P.P. Good idea!
Tonia, we gave the plants to the cattle. They eat more. lol
Sheepmom.., I just did them the plain way. lol. All I cared about at that time was getting them up and canned. But, you ways do sound good.