Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Farmsitters

I'm going on a rare vacation.  Me and Hubby are going to celebrate our 14th anniversary and take a vacation. "Where we going?" you ask.  We are going to Amish country. I know, I know, we basically live the same life here. Well, not really, I do like my air conditioner and my t.v. (sometimes).  But, I wanted to go somewhere where we don't have to run into fifty million screaming kids and people on their cell phones bumping into you as they walk.  Amish country usually doesn't attract those types of people.  Kids get bored in Amish country, no roller coasters or flashing lights and, there isn't that great of cell service there either. So texting is limited.  This is going to be just a nice relaxing get away.

One problem with us going though, is farm "babysitters."  It's hard to find someone to watch your animals while you are gone. At least someone who you would trust with the lives of your precious farm animals.  I will always wonder, while we are gone, if they are being taken care of the way I would take care of them.  9 times out of 10, they are not. That's why I don't like being gone for too long. I figured if I'm only gone for a couple days, the damage shouldn't be too bad, at least I hope not.  

Well, Phelan is going home tomorrow. The fun is over for a few days. : (   But, she will be back permanently in about a month. Watch out world!!! hehehee We have come up with all kinds of ideas on what we are going to do. I bet you can all just imagine, huh.  

So for now I will leave you with this cutie.

 
Small Farm Girl, soon to be on vacation.





5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh MAN!! Not only a great blogging buddy as a neighbor, but a neighbor you can actually TRUST with your livestock!

We're pretty luck that there's a gal who we can swap farm-sitting services with...but honestly, I still worry.

Congrats on your vacation! Oh, and your anniversary :)

small farm girl said...

Carolyn...Ya it's gonna be nice to have her here! But like you, I'll still worry. I guess it comes with owning a farm.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I pay a farmsitter who comes here with her 3 children and lives here while I have to be away. The pay might be cash, it might be services, it might be a week at the beach condo but they get *something* for their efforts. She and her children love, and love on, my animals like they own them, count heads several times a day and I know if something happens, it could have, just as easily, happened while I was here. She does her best and that's all I can ask. It's the best "money" I've ever spent!
Y'all have a great time on your break; suck the joy from every moment.

Candy C. said...

Your vacation sounds perfect to me! Happy anniversary and I hope ya'll have a great time!
We have trouble getting away too. The neighbor will come feed but sometimes, they don't get home until 9 or 10 at night. I HATE that my animals have to wait like that, they are very spoiled. His animals are used to it I guess but I still feel sorry for them.
My biggest problem is that I have no-one to milk the goat. We are going to be away next week to see the new granddaughter and I told hubby, "I can milk Thursday morning but we need to be home by Saturday late afternoon so that I can milk again." Honestly, I would just as soon stay home and have them come here. ;)

Michaele said...

Good for you! I couldn't call it a vacation even if I could take one. Too much worry. I had a friend come for chores when my dad was in the hospital. I had everything laid out and perfect instructions etc. He still forgot to do things and spent more time bringing people along with him like it was a zoo tour. It isn't worth it to me. I am very happy for you. I was going to say take lots of photos - but I bet you can't. Sneak some anyway.