Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Chicken or the Mouse?

I found out that I'm a softy when it comes to certain small, furry things. The other day, as I was feeding the chickens, I found a small mouse in the metal barrel where we keep our feed.  I must have left the lid open just a bit and it got in last night to get it a small bite to eat.  It was so cute, and it looked like it was scared. I mean, wouldn't you be if you couldn't get out of a big, metal barrel.

Anyway, I thought about just killing it because, well, it was eating my chickens food and I don't want it in my house.  But, it looked sooooo cute! It wasn't eating that much. I mean, it's just little. hehehehe I looked around and found an ax handle and put it down in the barrel hoping that it would climb out.  It didn't. It ran around and around and around. Nobody said that they were smart. I looked around again trying to find something else to help it get out. The only thing I could find was the scoop that I used to get the feed out with. It's not actually a scoop. It's more like a small coffee can. Should I put my arm down in that barrel with the mouse? It's cute, but I don't want it climbing up my arm and all. I looked back down in the barrel. The small little thing was just sitting there shivering with fright. Awwww. I had to help it.

I slowly put my arm down there with the coffee can so that it could get into the can. It just sat there all nice and calm. It wasn't even afraid of me. It acted like it knew what I was doing. I slowly scooped it up with the can and it didn't try to get out or anything! I turned around and went to put it on the ground when out of no where, a ferocious, death dealing chicken swooped in with it's razor sharp beak and killed the little mouse. And then, it ate it. The end.

Well, I guess that's part of living on a farm. Sometimes your the mouse, sometimes your the chicken.lol

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, farmer.

  

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

My chickens LOVE mice-snacks!
I'm nowhere near as kind as you are; the barn is being overrun with mice even with steel cans to put the goat/chicken feed. They're so bold now as to scurry across the floor while I'm milking!! I want nothing more than to kill EVERY STINKING MOUSE in that barn. Cute or not, those buggers pee & poop over everything & mouse pee is smelly & sticky & icky!!!
Sorry for the vent!

sista said...

I would have done the same thing. But I have cats so the mice avoid my chicken coop. Reminds me of a song. Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.

small farm girl said...

Carolyn, I know I should have killed the little sucker myself. I just couldn't. LOL! It was sooo cute. But, if it was in my house, I would have taken a shotgun to it. (Well, maybe not a shotgun, but you get the point.)

Sista, I've heard that song! Like it!

Muffy's Marks said...

Who needs a cat, when you have mice eating chickens. Cute Story!!

Tonia said...

LOL!!! Thats great! When we are digging out bedding the chickens, dogs and cats all go nuts for little mousy snacks.. I know they are little cute and furry but they also reproduce worse than rabbits are suppose too and poo on everything.. Our youngest cat made the mistake of letting one go for a minute and a chicken swooped in and took it.. :)

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Voracious little things aren't they! I've seen three of my chickens playing tug-o-war with a mouse. Not pretty. But extra protein for all those eggs! They like the little moles in the yard too. I have odd birds.

Candy C. said...

As I started reading I thought, "We would just feed it to the chickens." LOL!!

SweetLand Farm said...

Ah so the chicken had enough of sharing the grain!!! What a good chicken! LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL! Loved this post!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Oh! That is a great story!
Ahhh...the Circle of Life..... ;)

Have a great day!
Mimi
The Goat Borrower