Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Welcome

The other day I was commenting on Facebook about having horses.  That comment led from having horses, to living on a farm.  You would have thought I was a rock star or something.  I didn't realize how many people want to live in the country on a farm.  Just in the last few months I've had people ask about coming to see and pet my animals.  People who wanted to help gather eggs and help with fencing.  We just have to tell them when we would want them to come down.

Now I'm not one of those people who feel comfortable asking people for help on the farm.  I feel that we live here and we should be the ones taking care of it.  Sure it gets hard sometimes.  I know that the fence is nearly nothing holding the cattle in.  In fact, we have some young ones, right now, that keep getting out.  Put that on the list of things to fix.  

I've tried to pay people locally to come and do some chores that need done.  No one is interested.  I mean, really, who wants to do REAL work. lol  Things like cleaning out fence rows or cleaning out rabbit poop under the cages and putting it on the garden.  It's hard to get anyone locally to do that.  But at the same time, I have people from the city who want to come and help on the farm just to see the animals.  This kind of puzzles me.  Then of course, this made me think.  

The things that I and the locals see all the time, is new and exciting to people that live in the city.  Locals here can go to THEIR backyards and clean out fence rows and mend fence.  That's nothing new to them.  But to people that don't live in the country, this is something that they don't get to do everyday.  They would feel, for a day or two, that they would be actually working on a farm.  I find this interesting. 

Anyway, I did offer the people that wanted to come and see the farm an open invitation.  I know them and it wouldn't be like having strangers in my house.  But, I just can't see myself making them do actual work here.  If we do happen to be doing something when they come, they are welcome to join in, but I don't want them to plan on coming just to work.  That feels weird to me.  I want people to come and visit, not come and work.  Unless I was paying them, of course.  I guess that's the kind of person I am.

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, welcomer.  


No comments: