Monday, July 7, 2014

It Has Begun...



The garden has started to produce!!!  Yay!!!!!  I'm getting hungry just looking at this picture.  No chemicals, just taste.  I can hear the pickles calling my name now.  Yummmmmmm.


The lily pads are putting on a show this year.  They are pretty, but they are also an aggravation. You can't fish without hooking one of them.  Plus, they are so heavily rooted in the pond, you usually end up breaking your line.  Not fun when you have a huge fish on your line.  One of these days we are going to have our pond redone and all of these lily pads will be taken out.  That will be on down the list of things to do.  I just thought I would though you a photo of them.  They are kind of pretty....

As you can tell, our grass is getting a little bit out of hand.  Our lawnmower broke and we haven't had the extra money to fix it.  I'm hoping this weekend we will.  Right now, Hubby has been Bush Hogging the grass with the tractor.It works.  Skeeter has been having an allergic reaction to the tall grass.  Her poor little muzzle will swell up and she starts scratching.  I've been giving her a small dose of Benadryl.  That's what the vet told me to do.  It's kind of funny watching her all drugged out for a couple hours.  She sleeps like a rock too.  Although, she was pretty good at that before the drugs. hehehehe.

Hubby and I have been trying hard to stay on our "organic" diet.  It's not the easiest thing to do.  I keep running out of recipes to make.  Plus, with us being on the go a lot, it's about impossible to just grab something on the run.   And I don't know about you, but I'm not going to spend over a dollar on an organic granola bar that truthfully isn't really all that organic.  It still has things in it that I don't like.  Hey, maybe I'll look up some granola bar recipes.  (smacks head with palm)

I'm also looking for someone who can sell me a herd share on some dairy cattle. This whole "can't sell raw milk" is really ridiculous in my opinion.  I could make butter, cheese, and of course drink the milk if only I could find someone that had some dairy cattle.  So far the only ones I can find are pretty far away.  Of course once I get a barn built, I'll be able to get my own cow, but that could be a few years down the road.  I don't have that much time to wait right now.  We "NEED" our dairy products.  hehe.

 And FYI, just because a food is in the "healthy food" section of the grocery story, doesn't mean it's healthy. I've had to really look at the ingredients of foods.  I've gotten to where if it doesn't have simple ingredients, I'm not going to buy it.  That's why I'm trying to make my own things.  It's actually kind of daunting.  I've got so many things that need to be done now that we are eating this way.  Working on the farm is not making it easier, but at least this way it's giving me a time limit in which I have to get things done.  I won't keep putting it off until "tomorrow".

And to finish out this rambling post, I could possibly have some exciting news to tell you.  I don't want to jinx it and tell everyone about it.  So for now I would really appreciate everyone sending prayers my way that this "thing" will work out.  If it does, it could be a dream come true for me.

So on that note,

Until next time,

Small Farm Girl, dreamer



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings being sent your way!

Bob from Athens said...

As you mentioned in todays blog some of the reasons I tend to stay from "organic" stuff is the price and after they have finished processing it for sale a lot of the time it is not very close to organic anymore. And you can not get any fresher than picking, washing and eating it right there in the garden.

Michaele said...

Your veggies look great. The work is paying off. Now you have us all on the edge of our seats with your secret. Positive thoughts coming your way...

Sandy Livesay said...

SFG,

I love your vegetable harvest pictured here.

Even though the lilly pads are great to look at they sure can get in the way if you want to go fishing.

Keep up the good work with eating healthy.

Vera said...

Our garden has just started producing as well, and what a lovely feeling when you bring that harvest into the kitchen! The pond looks very pretty, even if you can't get to fish in it properly!

Kellie from Indiana said...

Just read this post. I, like you, struggle with what is labeled, and what is actually in things. I have allergies so its hard because they change names of the ingredients. Anyway, good luck and hope your dreams come true!