Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow Storm

We have snow!!!!! I love it! Let me rephrase that. I love the excitement that snow brings.I love how people will stampede to the grocery store to buy milk, eggs, and bread. They all will be talking about the amount of snow that they heard we were going to get. "I heard we were going to get 3 inches." "I heard that we were going to get 5 inches." It goes on and on from there.

Well, we did get around 5 inches of snow. Wet,wet snow. We lost power for a few hours. There are some still people without power. I welcome the peace. You don't realize how noisy your world is, until you don't have electric. No hum from the refrigerator. No hum from the fan on the wood burning stove. All is still and peaceful. I sat down and croqueted Glamor Girl a scarf for Christmas. I read a magazine. I lit candles and just enjoyed the peace. If it wasn't for the freezer full of food, I could live like this. Until, I tried to do dishes. No water pressure. I had to go and dip water out of our cistern. Other than it being a little cold, it didn't bother me. I heated the water up on the wood stove and done the dishes. Just when I thought I could really get use to this, the electric came back on. I almost went and flipped the main breaker for our house. lol

Oh, and another thing that happened in this snow storm. We had a new calf born. The first one we have had for over a year since we had to get a new bull. Why is it that babies have to be born on the worst days? I don't know if it's a bull or heifer, or which cow had it. I haven't gotten close to it yet. When I do, I will post pictures.

So until next time....

Small Farm Girl, snow lover.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that you are not aware of how much noise is created by electricity.

V.L. Locey said...

Congratulations on the new calf! It is something how quiet our homes are without electricity isn`t it?

Anonymous said...

Our final total of snow is 8 inches. We never lost power, but 17,000 people lost power in Charleston, South Charleston and Dunbar!! I am a big spoiled sissy. I would NOT want to live without electric. OMG, how I would grumble. congrats on your new baby calf. Can't wait to see photos..they are so cute when they're little.
What a nice Christmas present! We talked to our friends in Ohio, just across the river from you and they got only 2 inches. Up at our mountain house we got 19 inches and 28 on top of the mountain!! wow! Have a good week! Merry Christmas!...debbie

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Snow! And I LOVE your header. That's view is just stunning. Nicely done!
And congrats on the new calf. I bet it's precious!

We are supposed to get snow for Christmas. I love a white Christmas. But I wouldn't want to be without power then. We've got to have our Christmas songs, holidays lights and Christmas dinner :)


~Lisa

Tonia said...

We have yet to get any kind of significant snow fall.. Its just been COLD! I have to laugh at people who run to the store like that. I am usually stocked up and dont have to really worry about it..
We had an ice storm almost 3 years ago. It was so eerie how quiet it was.. Then we started hearing trees breaking from the weight of the ice.. Really scary!

small farm girl said...

Thanks for the comments guys! Lisa, we still have Christmas lights, the are just on the table in the form of candles.
Tonia, we had an ice storm like that. The trees breaking around here sounded like rifle shots. My dad said it brought back memories of vietnam.

Sarah said...

So glad you got a nice snow. Thats a nice amount that can be pretty but not stick around too long. And as for loosing power, I so enjoy that peace and quiet. However, in May of 2008 we were home for a snow storm. It only snowed 8 inches, but the wind blew and snapped ever power pole for several hundred miles (I'm not exagerating). And then the creek swelled from melting snow. In short...the electric company couldn't reach us and we were powerless for 2 1/2 WEEKS! Even with the generator, it was a challenge. And in the midst of it all we were calving and lambing too. So enjoy the peace, but also enjoy the luxery of electric power.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

A fresh snow is so pretty. A new calf is so cute! I'm waiting for pictures! thanks for visiting my blog!

soni said...

sorry haven't posted anything. we havent had internet. Im so happy abt the babycalf. Make sure this time you keep an eye on him. poor little guy,, cya at christmas