Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bye,Bye Black Snake

I was sitting out in the shade this morning working on my lap top and drinking some sweet tea, when all of a sudden the most awful racket was coming from over across our pond.  I could see two red wing black birds diving down at something.  I was thinking maybe a frog or a mouse that they were trying to catch.  Then I noticed that something was jumping up at them, trying to get to them.  I went in for a closer look. This is what I found.


It was getting in the bird's nest and eating their babies.  When I got there, there was one in the snake's mouth.  Let's just say, it didn't get to enjoy it's meal.  I know your not suppose to kill these big black snakes, I know they are great for rodent control and all, but I enjoy my birds a lot more than I enjoy the snakes.  So one of them had to go.  I picked the scaly thing. He was getting a little too close to the "teenage" chicks for my taste anyway.  So bye,bye, black snake.

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, baby bird saver

P.S.  Before you start making comments about why I shouldn't have killed the snake and should have "rehomed" it, go find your own black snake to rehome.  This one is dead. End of story. 


11 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

Ahahaha! I hate snakes. Good for you!

Catherine said...

Dead snake=good snake.

Texan said...

We kill snakes too, ewwwwwww I just can't stand them. I am scared literally speechless of them. Honeyman takes care of them here. The black snakes like to get the chicks, eggs, and even chickens. One time we heard this awful racket in the chicken pen after dark, they were roosted for the night. Honeyman went out and there was a big old black snake wrapped around the bottom half of one of our full grown chickens squeezing her! Honeyman knocked the chicken and snake off the roost and well the snake lost the round. Honeyman is a very good shot.

Sandy Livesay said...

SFG,

I would have done the same thing.

The other day I was in my garden weeding, and a snake appeared by my feet. I didn't have a shovel because it was on the back porch, so I picked up a loaded flower pot and slammed it down on the snake.

Can you say pancake head?

Yes, his head was like a pancake and I didn't have to worry what type of snake he was, he was dead.

I hate snakes.

Frank and Fern said...

The only good snake is a dead snake. We don't even take the time to see what kind it is. Good job!

Fern

Bob from Athens said...

I feel the same way about snakes as I do about tree rats, if they leave me and mine alone then I leave them alone. If they don't then they become buzzard chow.

Kris said...

I HATE snakes too! Any kind of snake. So I'm glad you did what you did. I can't even look at a picture of a snake. I always said the only good snake is a dead snake.

Kellie from Indiana said...

Even tho the worst we have in my neighborhood is a gardner snake, I lived in CA previously and trust me I feel the same as you!

JO said...

Good Job! Hate them dang things no matter what kind they are.

Peacemom said...

Our new house has a TON of garner snakes (sp?). We only get the occasional timber rattler up here for poisonous ones, but my childhood years spent in FL with water moccasins and rattlers was enough to instill the fear of God in me whenever I see any snake. Though we don't kill them, I sure do give them a wide berth. My kids laugh at me every time they see me jump backwards when I spot one and I have to convince my youngest that it's NOT a good idea to pick them up!
~Vonnie

Sheepmom said...

Sorry, I'm the oddball here. Killing it was a shame especially as it was non-venomous (and it was a corn snake, not a black snake). Eating a nest of birds is part of nature. It probably ate 10 times as many rodents as birds and since rodents are the bane of farmers.... well. It's a shame.