Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Winter Snacks


One of my favorite things about summer is the taste of a fresh ripe tomato. The ones you get in the stores in the middle of winter don't even compare. I believe I could take a salt shaker to the garden and sit in the middle of the tomato patch and eat my way out. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.



So to preserve the wonderful taste of fresh tomatoes, I grow cherry tomatoes. Lots and lots of cherry tomatoes. Buckets and buckets of cherry tomatoes. Truck loads and truck loads of cherry tomatoes. (okay, I exaggerated on that last one.)



Then I freeze them. I put them on cookie sheets, put them in the freezer until they are solid, then put them in freezer bags. Then in the middle of winter, instead of mourning that there are no ripe juicy tomatoes, I go to the freezer, grab a bag, sprinkle some salt in the bag, and eat until my hearts content. I eat them frozen. When you put the frozen tomatoes in your mouth, the skins will make this wonderful pop and split open. Its kind of like eating jaw breakers but, they aren't as hard.
They are heavenly. You can also use them in stews or with pastas. (I think I'm getting hungry)

So if you ever find yourself wanting something fresh in the middle of winter, you have got to try freezing the cherry tomatoes.

Lots of work to do today, so I'll leave you for now...

Small Farm Girl, tomato lover

4 comments:

Tammi said...

Oh, I could eat fresh garden tomatoes 24/7. I have never tried to freeze them though. I will have to try this.

Donna. W said...

Well now, if my grape tomatoes turn out well, I will freeze some.

komar said...

Also, I love tomatoes. Cool - healthy, useful and tasty!

Tonia said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog!! I have enjoyed reading thru your blog. You have a great sense of humor!! I was smiling all the way thru. Great idea for the Cherry tomatoes!!