Saturday, June 21, 2014

What I've Learned. And The Results

We went to the doctor's Thursday for the results of the biopsies.  The results.........Still no cancer!  I just love saying that.  We did find out a few more things about what was going on.  Hubby not only had the baseball sized inflammation in his upper bowel, he had a smaller one on his lower bowel.  The doctor said that there were possibly two reasons for this to happen.  One, he has a inflammational bowel disease like Crohns, or two, he wasn't getting enough blood to his bowel because of something like dehydration.

Well, HELLO!!!!  Hubby never drinks water.  He almost ALWAYS drinks either ice tea or coffee.  Both drinks have caffeine, therefore they dehydrate you.  He also works outside in a factory welding and cutting metal.  A hot job!  So that's a good possibility!  Either way, Hubby and I are still happy it's not cancer.  That would take us in a whole new direction.  

The doctor is actually leaning more toward the disease, so he decided that he was going to give Hubby a new med.  This will be like an inflammatory medicine that will stay only in the bowels.  It will not go through his whole system.  We will have to go back to him in three months to see if this is helping any.  Hubby is also suppose to drink lots, and lots of water.  Hopefully this will help out the situation.  We shall see.

During this whole ordeal, Hubby and I had plenty time to talk.  By being faced with a serious illness, we have made many decisions about our lives.  One:  We are going to start taking better care of ourselves.  I know, I know, we should have done this before.  I'm sure you all can relate.  But, we figured we got a second chance and we don't want to throw that away.  We're going to try and eat as much "good stuff" from our garden and pastures instead of buying everything from the store that has been processed or is artificial.  You would think that since we have such a big farm and all, that we would be doing that already.  We weren't.  We liked lunch meat and pre-made granola bars.  We like prepackaged things like sausage and cheese.  Now, we are going to make this stuff ourselves.  We have been trying to go off of wheat, so far, not doing so good.  Maybe if we would go to organic wheat, it wouldn't be so bad.  We shall see.  I'll keep you updated on all of this.

Two:  We are tired of not getting anything done.  Sure Hubby can do a lot of the stuff around the house by himself.  Things like finish the house, build a garage, build a barn, finish the chicken house, and sooooooo much more.  The problem is, TIME.  He works 10 hr days and then on the weekends he just has maintenance stuff to do at the farm.  He doesn't have time to do everything that needs done.  With his job, he makes enough money for us to pay bills, and then we have just a tiny amount left over to buy things like feed and gas.  That won't get things done.  So that brings us to number three.

Three:  I'm going back to work.  I'm going to get a job so that I can make some money so that we can hire these things done.  We are getting at the age where we need to hurry up and do this!  Not getting any younger here!  I'm not working for fun, or to have something to do, I'm working so that we can get some of our infrastructure done around here.  That way, when we DO get older, we will have everything set up to where we (hopefully) won't have to worry about things on the farm.

Four: Stop worrying about the small stuff.  It's no big deal!  You look at things differently when something like this happens in your life.  I really don't care that Hubby smacks his gum when he chews it.  He chews gum because he quit smoking.  Look at the big picture!!!!

Five: We have started going back to church.  You can only imagine all of the "deals" that you will make with God when something like this happens. LOL!  Seriously, there were a lot of people praying for Hubby and I.  I believe that is the only reason that we got good news.  Some of you may have your opinions, and that's fine, but I will also have mine. :0)

The content of this blog may change a little.  I'll still have things about the farm and such, but it may be a little more personal.  Writing this not only let's family members know what's going on, it let's me have a "diary" of sorts, that I can look back on and see where we have come.  Don't worry, I'm not going to get all sappy on you all.  There will still be some of the "crazy happenings", I'm sure.  But I also think that you will get to actually know me and Hubby better.  I think I'm okay with that. I hope you are too.

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, getting real

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! Remember that these are big changes and you may not be able to do them all at once. Little steps = big results! I have faith in you!

Felinae said...

(((Sfg)))

I am so happy it's not cancer. I have to force myself to drink water, I don't like it. What helps me drink it though is adding fruit flavor to it.

I will fill up my water dispenser with ice, then I slice either oranges, lemons, limes or strawberries and throw the fruit on top of the ice, then fill it with water. Cantaloupe and cucumber make a good flavored water too.

It's good for about 3 days, then it needs to be dumped out, mine doesn't last 3 days though. :)

Your plan sounds like a really good one and it's doable. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you on the job search.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Have a great weekend.

Hugs
~Fel~

small farm girl said...

Thanks Coral!!! Ill need all the help we can get! Lol

small farm girl said...

Thanks Fel! I think I'll try those flavored waters. Sounds good!!! I LIKE water, so they may not last long around here either! Lol

Frank and Fern said...

So all of this may be a blessing in disguise? I would always like to be able to choose the reminders I'm given from time to time to do things the right way, but it's not really my choice. It's great to hear that things are looking up for you two. Blessings to you both.

Fern

Unknown said...

Dang Fel, girl that is an awesome idea!!

SFG,
First I want to say I'm so happy for the both of you that hubby doesn't have cancer. YAY!!!!!!

It sounds like the two of you had a "Come to Jesus" understanding. I'm willing to bet that as long as you guys are working together
and as long as your keeping your lines of conversation open you guys can do anything.
I know it might be a bummer in a way about going back to work. This time though you have a goal. It makes it so much easier when you have a goal. And every hour you are working is an hour closer to getting things done around the farm. Personally I would take things one project at a time. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. And you are right.... don't sweat the small things "it's just bacon and eggs" hehe
Sorry, I didn't mean to make such a long comment It's just that I'm soooo happy for you guys.
Hugs to you and yours,
Sci

Becky Hall said...

Hi Sherri, I'm so glad to hear the good news. We've had similar issues (sickness) and wrestling with life and all it has to offer.

It's not been easy, but we're making changes along the way and it's great when you reap the benefits.

Best wishes to you and hubby and prayers for strength and patience.

Keep the faith!

Becky

small farm girl said...

Thanks Fern. I agree I wished I could pick, but sometimes it's the ones out from left field that wake you up more. Thanks for the prayers.

small farm girl said...

Thanks Sci! I thought of you every time I say don't sweat the small stuff. Lol. I'm looking forward to going back to work. Like you said, having a goal makes a difference.

small farm girl said...

Thanks Becky! Sometimes we need our eyes opened for is. :-)

Sandy Livesay said...

SFG,

You and your husband have put a plan in place for your future. Give it time, and you will enjoy the benefits. Life always throw us curve balls, and we adjust and make things better. Remember.....this too shall pass, and you and your husband will be exactly where you want to be in life and on your farm.

Hubby and I've talked too, I'm looking for a job myself. It maybe a little hard to find one but I'm trying.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Good for you!!! This sounds like a good solid foundation that you are beginning to build. I hope things come together as you are anticipating. Your outlook on don't sweat the small stuff really is liberating! I bet you find a whole new peace come about, esp with both of you on the same page and working towards the same goals together. This recent stress you just went through has turned into a bonding experience. I wish you both well, and will continue to pray for you. Please give a shout out if there is anything we can do to help out.