Monday, June 16, 2014

A Long And Life Changing Weekend: Part 3

Sorry I had left you guys hanging like that. lol.  Soooo many things going on right now.

Anyway,  as you would expect, I didn't get much sleep THAT night before the colonoscopy.  We kept waiting on the doctor to get there and start everything.  The nurses said he would be in that morning.  Well, I don't know where you are from, but in my neck of the woods, 4 o'clock pm IS NOT MORNING!!!!  By then, I was about at my wits end and Hubby was getting cranky because he hadn't had anything to eat since Thursday afternoon.  Well, other than blue Gatorade.  (He said he will never drink the stuff again. lol)

Finally the doc came in.  I was on pins and needles.  He was just telling us what he was going to do with the colonoscopy and about the mass that was in the beginning of Hubby colon.  I asked him what he thought and how big it was.  First off, he said it was a pretty good sized mass.  The size of a baseball.  (Oh goodness!)  Then he said he was confused because his blood count was perfect. It didn't show a significant infection. (Uh oh.)  Therefore he was leaning towards some kind of tumor. (NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!)  By that time I kind of went numb.  Colon cancer runs in Hubby's family.  The doctor said they would be coming up to get him and take him down to the procedure room any minute.

When he left, I lost it again.  I cried and cried while laying down and hugging Hubby.  I told him that I could not lose him.  He just laughed.( Like he would always do.)  And told me not to worry.

"Oh sure, no problem!"  "What, me worry? Naaaaaa. Just had something in my eye."  He kept telling me that it wasn't cancer.  "But the doc said........"  He would just shake his head.  I wished that I could be that  optimistic.

Finally they came in and got him for the colonoscopy.  I was trying to take my mind off of it.  Actually, to tell you the truth, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be at that time.  I had asked my mom to put Hubby on the prayer list at church so I knew A LOT of people were praying for him.  Plus, my uncle and aunt put him on their prayer lists at their churches.  I had come to the terms that whatever this was, we were going to try and beat it.  It was the not knowing that was the worst.

I sat there and was watching the preliminaries of the Belmont Stakes Race.  Getting ready to hopefully see a triple crown,(Nope.) when the little nurse from the station came in.

"Ms. Small Farm Girl?"
"They need you down in the colonoscopy labs."

My heart sank.  Was it that bad?????  They had to have me down there?  Did they find something already?  Oh goodness!!!!

So I followed the small, thin nurse ALL the way across the hospital.  Now this girl had just bagged about running marathons and mud races, so by the time I had followed her to the colonoscopy dept, I was ready to just have them take me to the morgue.  I was huffin and a puffin, let me tell you.  We finally came to the department and had to be buzzed in.  I was a nervous wreck.  They kept talking to me in a hushed voice.  I followed them to where Hubby was laying in a cubical made of curtains all hooked up to machines.  He looked so helpless.  The nurse looked at me and said," Ya, we knew that it was going to be a while, so we thought you might want to come down here and keep him company."

AUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!  I had just about died for nothing!!!!  I had all kinds of horrible things going through my head.  They just about had to call "code blue" on ME!!!!

Hubby, like always, just laughed.  He especially laughed when I told him about how I wanted to trip that little "racer" that brought me down here so fast. lol  Then the nurses started talking about recipes that they were making, and all the food that they were going to be taking to a picnic.  Hubby, who hadn't eaten since Thursday said real loud, " I would kill for a nice juicy steak about now."  The room went silent. LOL!!!!!

Well, they finally came back and got him.  The moment of truth was before us.  I sat there and bounced my knees, I "looked" at Facebook, and sometimes, I just sat and stared.  The nurse kept coming and asking me if I wanted anything to drink.  I do believe if I had taken a drink of anything, I would have thrown up.

The next thing I knew, the doctor came out.  No expression on his face what so ever.  Oh no........  He shook my hand and said,"Ms. Small Farm Girl?"

"Uh, ya."
"It's not cancer."

It's not cancer.
It's not cancer.
One more time, IT'S NOT CANCER!!!!!!!!!!

I started to cry....again.

The doctor said that it looked to be some kind of inflammation.  He took several biopsies of it and was going to send it to the lab, but he said that he had been doing these things for many years and he could just about 100% tell it wasn't cancer.  He even gave me a picture of it.  In my opinion, it didn't look like cancer either.  :0)  He also said it could be something like an autoimmune disorder.   Maybe Crohns Disease.  Don't ask me, I don't really know what that is just yet.  I wanted to wait until we were sure what it was before I started looking things up.  I'm still on cloud nine because it's NOT CANCER!

At this time they were wheeling Hubby back into the room.  He was sleeping so soundly.  They kept trying to wake him up.  I thought, "Let the man sleep!" That's the best sleep he's had since he's been in the hospital. I was sitting there listening to him snore and pass gas.  It was the best sound in the world. (Ask me that in a few months and I'll denigh I ever said that.)  I was, at this time, still crying and laughing.  The nurse came and asked if I was okay. "These are happy tears!"  She just smiled and handed me a box of tissues and once again tried to wake Hubby.

By the time we got him "awake" and up to his room, he had asked me 5 times how things went.  And I told him and showed him the pictures each time.  I didn't care, IT WASN'T CANCER.

Hubby was let go from the hospital later the next evening.  They pumped him full of many rounds of antibiotics.  I asked him if he felt like a Tyson chicken. hehehehe  He feels much better now. He even rolled hay for our neighbor this past weekend.  He still gets a small twinge in his side every now and then, but we have another appointment with the doctor this coming Thursday.  Prayers would be appreciated at that time.  We will be narrowing down what the cause of all of this is.

In my next post, I'm going to be telling how all of this has changed our lives.  And it has!  BIG TIME!

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, IT'S NOT CANCER


Kelle said...

Oh so glad to hear that, NO CANCER! We heard that too with our daughter's brain tumor, it was a tumor, but not maglignant. Sorry for the scare but it's also a wake up call and a chance to start again, gotta love that! HUGS!

The Homestead Lady said...

Praise The Lord! IT'S NOT CANCER! What wonderful news...I will keep your hubby in my prayers and you as well. Looking forward to your next post...

small farm girl said...

Kelle, it WAS a wake up call. In fact, you guys came up in a conversation about your daughter and how you are eating because of it. I'll probably have to pick your brain on how to do things. Hope you don't mind. :-)

small farm girl said...

Thank you!!! We will always take prayers!!!! :-)

Sandy said...


It's not cancer!!!! That is great news, now the doctor needs to figure out what it is and have a plan of action established. I have both of you in my prayers.

small farm girl said...

I agree Sandy!!!! Thanks for the prayers!!!!!

Felinae said...

(((SFG & Mr. SFG)))

I'm sitting way over here, crying happy tears for the both of you. Yay! it's not the C-Word!

I will continue to send prayers and positive thoughts.

Hugs & Love
ps...I would have tripped the nurse. ;)

Red Woman said...

Hallelujah! That is wonderful news.


small farm girl said...

Hahahaha!!!! I can see you tripping her now!!!!! Thank you!!

small farm girl said...

Red, it IS good news!!!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yay :-D

Vera said...

Our healing group here in France, and our friend's healing group in the UK, continue to send out our prayers for you and your husband.

Melissa E said...

Oh I am so happy for you and hubby! It's not cancer are the best words you can hear. Praying for you during the next appointments as you figure out what this is and how to treat it!

Kellie from Indiana said...

I am so glad its not cancer! I feel for your hubby. In 2012 I began bloating up with horrific pain anytime I ate. I dropped down to 90 lbs. because we were broke with no insurance and I couldnt eat. Its scary seeing every bone bulging thru your skin btw. Supermodels think THATS sexy-forget about it! Eventually I did go to the doc but still could not afford the tests she said she had to run to rule out cancer. So she put me on prilosec, and Im back to my normal weight and can eat. Its scary to think you can have cancer and not be able to do anything about it. So Im glad you guys can and get this thing figured out.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Oh what a relief!!!!

small farm girl said...


small farm girl said...

Thanks Vera! We need all we can get!!!!!

small farm girl said...

Yes, those are great news!!! And thanks for the prayers!

small farm girl said...

Kellie, I'm glad your back to normal. Although I do need to lose a LOT of weight, I do agree that skin and bones are not sexy. :-D. We are extreemly bless with our insurance. I hope they figure everything out.

small farm girl said...

Yes, yes it is!!!!

SweetLand Farm said...

Thank God it's not cancer!! :) I'm happy for you and your husband. Glad to know he's feeling better too.

Henny Penny said...

To hear the words "not cancer"! Oh my! There is no better news!

Mary said...

Many ongoing prayers for continued good news. So nice to hear 'not cancer' and that hubby is feeling better. Take care of yourself too, lots of stress to recover from.