Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Invasion




These little buggers (or should I say BIG buggers) are taking over my garden.  These are sand hornets or cicada killers to others.  Sure "They" say the sand hornet is docile.  I'm not going to press my luck.  "They" say, that only the female has a stinger.  Once again, not going to press my luck.  I can't even go into my garden to pick vegetables without these things making fly-by passes of my head.  Nope, not gonna press my luck.  These are MY veggies!!!  As much as I don't really want to kill these things, I was told that if I don't, they can take over a garden in no time.  Which they have.  So it looks like we are being invaded, once again, by some sort of pest that I have to fight off for our garden.  It's getting kind of hard to eat from our garden when everything else wants to also.

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, hornet killer.

P.s.  That is not me holding that hornet.  That is a picture I took off the net.

8 comments:

Frank and Fern said...

I wouldn't hold that thing!

How is the writing job going?

Fern

small farm girl said...

That's not actually me. That's a picture off the net.
The job is going ok. Just waiting on them. The mag is new so they are trying to put it all together.

Carolyn said...

We don't have that many so I leave them be, especially since I like their prey less than I like them. I totally forgot to do a post on the Cicada Killer during Bug Week, but now it seems as if I don't have to now you did :)

zztop357 said...

We had a back yard full of the hornets last year. They were so bad my DH killed one and took it to our county extension office. Completely harmless except to cicadas!!! They do catch and eat other bugs that are harmful to garden plants!! Next year they will move on... They are linked to cicadas.The more cicadas you have the more hornets you will have!

small farm girl said...

You are welcome. :-)

small farm girl said...

Zztop, we had a few last year. Now we have thousands!!!! Well, maybe a few hundred. But you can't even get in our garden because they are dive bombing us! :-)

Vera said...

I saw something similar hanging round the pigs this afternoon. They looked like giant wasps, and one or two stopped to take a sip of blood from the pigs. Nasty things!!!!! We are at the end of the food chain here......we only get our veg produce when everything else has had a nibble! Endurance and patience, I think, is a much needed quality of self when one is a smallholder!

Kellie from Indiana said...

I hope I dont have to ever see those things. Slugs, pillbugs, raccoon, squirrel, bird and sometimes a feral cat is more than enough for me!