Friday, December 20, 2013

Getting Ready For Christmas

We are getting ready for Christmas around the farm.  The tree is up and the presents are bought or made. (almost)  They are all wra......oh who am I kidding!!!! I HATE wrapping presents.  I think it's a waste of time and a waste of pretty paper.  Plus, I'm not really good at it.  Maybe it's because I know that in just a few days the paper will be ripped to shreds. I always leave it to the last minute.  Then I go and give them to people who in return give me a beautifully wrapped present with bows and ribbon and pretty little name tags.  Mines lucky to have a name written on the paper with a Sharpie.

One thing I AM good at is making cookies.  For the last few days we have also been on cookie over load.  I've been baking at least on type of cookie a day.  I can remember my mom baking cookies and making candies before Christmas.  I loved it.  I'm not a big sweets eater, but I just love the action of making Christmas candies and cookies.  The last time I went to the grocery store I saw plain sugar cookies.  They were in a plastic container with a bunch of different colors of icing so that you can decorate them.  I thought that was sad.  Making the cookies were the fun part not just icing them.  Sugar cookies are one of the most basic cookies out there. Why not get a recipe, make them, and make memories along with the cookies.

Oh well, I guess to each their own.  I just wished more people would slow down and enjoy the Christmas season.  If you have to start earlier that's fine, just enjoy it.  I'm sure the presents will be forgotten before too long, but the memories will be forever.

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, feeling the Christmas Spirit and cookie baker

3 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Small Farm Girl,

We've slowed down. In fact, there will be no presents. Just family, and being together. We have a little live tree in a pot with bows. This year we are going to celebrate what Christmas really stands for.

I love making cookies and then giving them as gifts. Enjoy and have fun, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

small farm girl said...

Hey Sandy!!! I enjoy RECEIVING cookies as gifts. Just some random info. :-D
Merry Christmas to you too!!!!!

Michaele said...

I love that you are enjoying carrying on traditions. The smell of cookies in the kitchen is unmatched. My daughters love to wrap pretty packages for giving and I have learned that it does make a difference. Unless the present itself is super fantastic. Then who cares: )