Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Amish Horses

In Amish country I turned into a giddy teenage girl. Why? Because there were HORSES all over the place!!!!!! Like any teenage girl I LOVED horses. This was like a dream come true.

 This big feller was posing by the fence just for me.


We went to a petting zoo and this was the view across the street.  Looks like this mare is the babysitter for all the young colts.


                    This little one was looking the other way when all of his classmates went to the barn.


                                                                     Wait for me!!!!!



This big feller is Big Ben. He is the biggest horse in Holmes County Oh. To put that into perspective, that lady was taller than I was. They would feed him ice cream cones.


Here was the plack in front of his stall. He is 1 1/2 tons!!!! Here it says his height is 19.3 hands. If you don't know anything about horse measuring, a hand is 4 inches. So if you figure that up, he is 6 1/2 feet tall at the shoulders! That's where they measure the horse.


And then while we where driving around, we saw this stunner.  Isn't he beautiful!!!! He was just standing there just like that as we drove by. We even turned around and drove back to get his picture. I think he was posing for us too. LOL



I have other pictures of horses but I'm gonna leave them for another post. They do come in different colors. lol

So until next time,

Small Farm Girl, giddy!

5 comments:

Golden To Silver Val said...

You and I share the fondness for anything Amish! I've been to Lancaster, PA and also many times to northern Indiana (Nappanee) to the huge flea market there. When I go, I bring back massive amounts of baked goods which I divide up into single servings, seal in plastic and freeze. Nothing like warm homemade bread with homemade jam on a cold, blizzardy day and I only had to walk as far as my freezer in the basement to get it! Looking forward to seeing more pictures. I'm also a horse lover....having owned one from the age of 8 to 16 (me, not the horse, LOL)

small farm girl said...

Golden, I just love the simple lifestyle too. I can never get any of my food, that I buy, to make it back to the house. hehehehe. I've also owned a horse ever since I was 13. Doesn't mean that I ride all the time, just means that I own one. :)

Willow said...

Right there with you in giddyland over horses lol always had them wherever we lived. That last photo equine beauty looks like he was quite interested in posing for you. ! :)

Granny Miller said...

Sounds like you had a really good time!
Did you get to go to Lehman's Hardware while you were there?

small farm girl said...

Willow.... I think he WAS posing!!!! He stayed like that for a LONG time. Loved it!!!!

Granny.... I DID go to Lehman's. I was in Heaven!!!! I looked around so much that me knees were killing me! I almost went and got a wheelchair just so I could look longer. It's a nice place. Although, it's a little expensive. Still worth going just to look. :)