Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Mystery is Solved.

I canned 9 quarts of beans today. I love canning beans. It's sooooo easy. If I had enough beans, I could can all day long. My Dad always told me,"You eat what you can, what you can't, you can." Smart isn't he. lol

I also picked my first tomato out of the garden. A real tomato, not a cherry tomato. It was the only one. The rest are still very green. But, it won't be long now. This year I am concentrating on tomatoes, particularly tomato juice. We go through tomato juice so fast in the winter. Soups and chili, although, I can drink my weight in tomato juice too.(and that's saying a lot.)

Hubby has had a few bleeps on his job radar lately. I hope something pans out. Although I love him being at home, extra money is nice too. He has been laid off since back in December.(and hasn't done one dirty dish. Go figure.) If he gets this one job, he will be staying out of town for a whole 28 days. But, he will be home for 28 days after that. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Oh, the other night when I couldn't sleep, well, I couldn't sleep last night either. But I did figure out why I couldn't sleep the night before. I was a human smorgasbord for mosquitoes. I am covered with mosquito bites! Did I say covered, I mean COVERED!!!!!!I stayed up last night scratching. I'm dying here. I believe someone could connect the dots and they would form a masterpiece. If anyone has a suggestion as to how to make these things quit itching, I am all ears. ( well actually I am all mosquito bites. But you get my point.)

Until later.....

Small Farm Girl, scratcher.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I really wish I had a fantastic remedy for itching, but I don't. I've tried them all...putting clear fingernail polish over them...all the various ointments sold specifically for itching....Benadryl...etc. etc. It seems like they all actually work, but only for a short time.
I will check back to see if someone else does, though. I sure could use a miracle cure. For some reason I attract biting insects.
I did get "eat up" by chiggers one year. I had over a hundred bites on each leg. My Grandma was in the hospital at the time and I was scratching like crazy, so my Mom made me go down to the ER. They gave me a couple different prescriptions. I can't remember exactly what they were, but they worked!
Congratulations on that first tomato! We're still waiting.

Sarah said...

When we had chicken pox my Mom had us soak in ann Epson Salt bath. It was temp. relief, but it was releif. I used to use those itch sticks things, but again, I think it was temporary relief, adn they worked best if you put it on as soon as you were bit. Anyway, good luck!

Meadowlark said...

We're still a far sight from tomatoes, but I did harvest an 8-ball zuke!

Bugs love me too.. it's 'cause we're so sweet.
No.
Really. :)

Kathryn said...

I've found Biofreeze to be very helpful with mosquito bites. Also, when we were visiting with family, the children found relief from them with this too.

I have to say, i rarely use Biofreeze as a product at work any more. I rarely recommend it either because it uses parabens in it. But i figure on a rare occasion for a bite it isn't so bad. You may not be able to find it easily. Most likely a chiropractic or massage office in your area. I will say it was very good relief for the itch.

This year before our trip somewhere that has a lot of bugs & mosquitos, i tried changing my blood chemistry. For about a week before we left i drank (daily) roughly 6 oz of water with appx. 2/3rds of a teaspoon of baking soda in it. It doesn't sound very good, but over time i kind of got used to it & it wasn't so bad. I've heard apple cider vinegar in water does the same, but i don't handle that well, so i tried the baking soda.

I got 2 bites in our 10 days of visiting family.

Hope you feel better soon.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Hey, instead of scratcher shouldn't it be digger*wink*

I'll be praying your Dh gets a big blip on the job scene. I'm not entirely sure I'd like the 28 days gone though, but that's just me.

I've picked several tomatoes from the plants in the greenhouse and finally today picked a small brandwine that was ripe. Tomorrow, it's BLT's for dinner!

I'll be canning beets on Friday, tomorrow is mowing day and I have a few loads of laundry to finish up before Cortney heads off to camp on 29th.

Blessings,
Kelle

Angie said...

try an oatmeal bath, kinda grind it in your hand, use alot, and don't rinse off

granny said...

Hi there,I have an award for you over at my blog if you would like to pick it up!Have a happy weekend :0)

soni said...

yeah i told mom to tell you to do an oatmeal bath. Remember the bites i had? yeah i used that it did help. but i used like 2-3 packets and just soaked... ahhhhh,, don't scratch though. Ray told me to scratch and yeah it spread and covered my whole back....

Donna. W said...

I'm doing tomatoes like crazy too. Seems like 3/4 of our fall-winter-spring dishes require tomatoes. They're easy too, only a little messier than green beans.

Amy said...

I hope your 'squito bites aren't still itching. My great aunt used Mint Listerine, is it called Listermint? I don't usually have it on hand, but I should, it worked like a charm.

LeAnna said...

Hey there, just wanted to say I like your blog. I live on 2 acres in the rural suburbs, have chickens and a garden in my backyard, and my hubby and I keep our small herd of Limousine/Angus cattle and horse out on my parents farm. I love it! Have you ever tried one of those After Bite sticks for mosquito bites? You can find it with the calamine lotion and stuff...I hope your husband finds a job soon. My DH is in construction and we're always keeping our eyes peeled for good jobs. I hate the out of town stuff, really, but sometimes that's all there is. I can't say my husband has ever been gone for 28 days, though, so I'll be praying for you!